Dr. William P. Magee Jr. (born 1944) is a board-certified American plastic and craniofacial surgeon popularly known as the founder of Operation Smile. He founded Operation Smile in 1982, with his wife, Kathleen S. Magee.
The organization serves as a non-profit volunteer medical services organization providing reconstructive surgery and related health care to indigent children and young adults in developing countries and the United States.
William P. Magee Jr. Facts
- Full Name: William P. Magee Jr.
- Age: 79 years old
- Year of Birth: 1944
- Place of Birth: Norfolk, Virginia, U.S.
- Specialty: Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery
- Nationality: American
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Dr. William P. Magee Jr.
- Dr. Magee Jr. was born in 1944 in Norfolk, Virginia, U.S.
- Heis the second of the 12 children of William and Grace Magee.
- Magee attended Mount St. Mary’s University before medical school at George Washington University and dental school at the University of Maryland.
- After completing his general surgery residency at the University of Virginia, he came to the EVMS for a plastic surgery fellowship.
- He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and specializes in cleft lip, cleft palate, craniofacial deformities, and hemangiomas.
- He is currently employed at the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters, and simultaneously runs his practice, Magee-Rosenblum Plastic Surgery, in Norfolk, Newport News, and Chesapeake, Virginia.
- Magee is also an associate professor at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
- He is married to Kathleen S. Magee. They founded Operation Smile together in 1982.
- In 1999, the Magees envisioned and launched World Journey of Hope ’99, the largest surgical mission in history dedicated to correcting facial deformities among some of the world’s neediest children.
- He has a very large family including his wife Kathy, his 5 children and grandchildren including Riley, Will, Alec, and Isabelle Clifford.
Address: 400 W Brambleton Avenue, Suite 103, Norfolk, VA 23510
Phone number: (757) 627-6700