Valentín Fuster (born January 20, 1943) is a board-certified Spanish-born American cardiologist in New York, New York. He subspecializes in adult congenital heart diseases.
Valentín Fuster Facts
- Full Name: Valentín Fuster
- Age: 79 years old
- Date of Birth: January 20, 1943
- Place of Birth: Barcelona, Spain
- Occupation: Cardiologist
- Nationality: Spanish
- Wife: Maria Fuster
Valentín Fuster Medical School & Residency
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Rochester) – Residency, Internal Medicine, 1971-1974
- Universidad de Barcelona Faculty of Medicine – Medical School
Valentín Fuster Career
From 1968 until 1971, Fuster was a Research Fellow in Cardiology at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. In 1971, he received his PhD from the University of Edinburgh Medical School. Fuster spent a number of years at the Mayo Clinic, initially as a resident and then as a professor of medicine and cardiology consultant. He became the director of cardiology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 1981.
He was the Mallinckrodt Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Chief of Cardiology at Massachusetts General Hospital from 1991 to 1994. In 1994, he returned to Mount Sinai as the Director of the Zen and Michael A. Wiener Cardiovascular Institute. In 2006, he was appointed the Director of Mount Sinai Heart.
Fuster is the director and head physician of Mount Sinai Heart, the Zena and Michael A. Wiener Cardiovascular Institute, and the Marie-Josee and Henry R. Kravis Center for Cardiovascular Health. In addition, he is the Richard Gorlin, MD/Heart Research Foundation Professor at Mount Sinai’s Icahn School of Medicine. Fuster served as President of Science and is currently the General Director of the Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares Carlos III (CNIC) in Madrid.
In 2014, Fuster was chosen head editor of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Former positions include President of the American Heart Association, past president of the World Heart Federation, member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences where he serves as Chair of the Committee on Preventing the Global Epidemic of Cardiovascular Disease, and former Chairman of the Fellowship Training Directors Program of the American College of Cardiology.
He holds thirty-four Honorary Doctorates from universities. As of 2020, according to Google Scholar, his peer-reviewed works have been cited 319,356 times. His h-index and i10-index are 209 and 1,206, respectively.
He was the inspiration for a character named “Valentin Ruster” on the Spanish version of Sesame Street who lectured youngsters about healthier living through exercise and a nutritious diet.
Certifications & Licensure
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Certified in Cardiovascular Disease
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Certified in Internal Medicine
- MN State Medical License – Active through 1982
- NY State Medical License – Active through 2022
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- NYC Health and Hospitals-Bellevue, New York, NY
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS)
- Coventry Health Care
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS)
- First Health (Coventry Health Care)
- Great West Healthcare
- Health Net
- Humana Health
- Multiplan PHCS
- Oxford Health Plans
Location & Contact Information
New York, NY 10029
New York, NY 10029
Valentín Fuster Net Worth
Valentín Fuster has an estimated net worth of $6 million.