McKay McKinnon, M.D. is a board-certified American plastic surgeon who works at Saint Joseph Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, and the French-Vietnam Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
10 Things You Didn’t Know About McKay McKinnon
- He graduated from medical school at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine.
- He completed his general surgery residency at Harvard University and his plastic surgery residency at the University of Miami. He completed plastic surgery fellowships at Children’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, University of Miami, and in Paris, France.
- He formerly served on the faculty at the University of Chicago Medical Center and worked at Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago, Illinois.
- He works at Saint Joseph Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, and the French-Vietnam Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Dr. McKinnon is popularly known for successfully removing the world’s biggest solid tumor.
- From 1985 to 2014 he led missions to Choluteca, Honduras where he performed cleft lip and palate and other reconstructive surgery. During that time, more than 500 children received treatment at no cost.
- Over the course of his career, Dr. McKinnon has also provided specialty care and teaching in Belize, Honduras, India, Peru, Vietnam, Thailand, Romania, Mexico, and Portugal.
- Dr. McKinnon started a 501(c)(3) certified charitable organization called SurgerySOS in 2017. The mission of SurgerySOS is to provide complex tumor and craniofacial surgery to patients without local access to such specialized care.
- McKinnon currently conducts surgical and teaching missions at the French Vietnam Hospital, Cho Ray Hospital, Children’s Hospital II (Saigon), Hue General Hospital, and Viet Duc University Hospital in Vietnam.
- During his career, McKinnon has introduced new plastic surgery techniques in nasal reconstruction, craniosynostosis, bilateral cleft lip, vascular malformations, aesthetic craniofacial surgery, orbital tumors, and neurofibromatosis.
McKinnon Plastic Surgery680 N Lake Shore Dr Ste 1208 Chicago, IL 60611