Mark L. Smith, MD, FACS, (born 1965) is a board-certified American cosmetic, plastic, and reconstructive surgeon in Great Neck, New York with over 20 years of experience. He serves as the Chief of Plastic Surgery at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center.
Facts About Mark L. Smith
- Full Name: Mark Lawrence Smith
- Age: 57 years old
- Year of birth: 1965
- Place of birth: Huntington, NY, United States
- Occupation: Plastic Surgeon
- Nationality: American
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Mark L. Smith
- Smith was born in born in Huntington, New York. He grew up in the United States.
- He attended Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. He graduated in 1987 with a BA in biology 1987.
- In 1991 Smith earned his medical degree from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, New York.
- He did his residency in general surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY between 1991 and 1996.
- Smith did a fellowship in Microsurgery and Oncologic Reconstruction at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, and another in Craniofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery at the University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- He specializes in microsurgical breast reconstruction, head and neck reconstruction, facial paralysis, reconstruction of congenital defects, and the surgical treatment of lymphedema and lipedema.
- He has experience with reconstruction for cancer especially patients with breast, head, and neck, cutaneous, and colorectal malignancies.
- Mark L. Smith was the first surgeon to perform DIEP flap breast reconstructions in New York City.
- He and his colleague Dr. Joseph Dayan were the first surgeons in North America to perform successful vascularized lymph node transfer to the wrist to treat lymphedema.
- Mark L. Smith is a Professor of Surgery at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
600 Northern Blvd
Friedman Center for Breast and Lymphatic Surgery, Great Neck, NY, 11021