Mario Deng (born March 28, 1955) is a German-born American cardiologist in 0. He subspecializes in heart failure and transplantation.
Deng is a Professor of Medicine in the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Mario Deng Facts
- Full Name: Mario Chih-Hsiung Karl Deng
- Age: 67 years old
- Date of Birth: March 28, 1955
- Place of Birth: Berlin, Germany
- Occupation: Cardiologist
- Nationality: Chinese, German
- Wife: Federica Raia
Mario Deng Medical Education & Residency
- Stanford Health Care-Sponsored Stanford University – Fellowship, Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology, 1992-1993
- Freie University Berlin Faculty of Medicine – Medical School
Mario Deng Career
Deng completed post-doctoral training in advanced heart failure, transplantation cardiology, and molecular cardiology at Stanford University in 1992-1993. Deng built the University of Münster’s interdisciplinary heart failure and heart transplant program while working as a professor there from 1992 to 2000.
As the Director of Cardiac Transplantation Research, Deng joined Columbia University in 2000. Deng received the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation’s first-ever position as Medical Director for the Mechanical Circulatory Support Database in 2001. As Director of the Advanced Heart Failure, Mechanical Circulatory Support, and Heart Transplant Program, he was hired in 2011 by the University of California, Los Angeles to rebuild the heart transplant program.
The Comparative Outcomes and Clinical Profiles in Transplantation (COCPIT Study), which led to the discussion on reorganizing the heart allocation rules in Europe and the US, was conducted and published by Deng.
To rule out rejection without invasive biopsies, Deng co-developed the first diagnostic and prognostic peripheral blood mononuclear cell gene expression profiling biomarker test in the history of heart transplantation medicine, which received US-FDA regulatory clearance and international evidence-based medicine guideline acceptance.
The Deng lab began creating a genetic blood test in 2005 to improve prognosis in patients with diverse types of severe heart failure.
Deng’s research partnership with Professor Federica Raia (UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies and David Geffen School of Medical) in the “Relational Medicine” project reflects the development of a framework to personalize high-tech modern medicine encounters.
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License – Active through 2024
- CA State Medical License – Active through 2024
- Olive View-UCLA Medical Center
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- MEDICA CHOICE WITH UNITEDHEALTHC
- Multiplan PPO
- Oscar Insurance CA
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Nexus Open Access
- UHC Options PPO
Dr. Mario Chih Hsiung Karl Deng has the following 22 areas of expertise
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Coronary Artery Bypass (Heart Bypass)
- Blood Clot
- Unstable Angina
- Heart Catheterization
- Heart Block
- Heart Failure
- Heart Attack
- Heart-Lung Transplantation
- Heart Transplantation
- Heart Diseases
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Disease (Myocardial Ischemia)
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Arteriosclerosis (Arterial Disease)
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Coronary Disease
Location & Contact Information
UCLA Medical Group
2020 Santa Monica Blvd Ste 220
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Fax: (310) 058-2622
Data provided by the National Library of Medicine
- Predictive value of the CD45RO positive T-helper lymphocyte subset for acute cellular rejection during the early phase after kidney transplantation.
- Combining nonpharmacologic therapies for advanced heart failure: the Münster experience with the assist device-defibrillator combination.
- Identification and characterization of diadenosine 5′,5″‘-P1,P2 -diphosphate and diadenosine 5’,5″‘-P1,P3-triphosphate in human myocardial tissue.
- Evolving short-term and long-term mechanical assist for cardiac-failure — a decade of experience in Münster.
- Left ventricular assist system support is associated with persistent inflammation and temporary immunosuppression.
- Development of cardiac transplant policy in Germany (part 1)
- Impact of local donor and regionalization on a German transplantation center. UNI NRW. Universities of North Rhine Westfalia.
- Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) modulates the expression of type VIII collagen mRNA in vascular smooth muscle cells and both are codistributed during atherogenesis.
- Effects of modification of the allocation system on ischemia duration and costs of heart transplantation. Transplantation Cooperation UNI-NRW.
- Reversal of myocardial interleukin-6-mRNA expression following long-term left ventricular assist device support for myocarditis-associated low output syndrome.
- On the contractile function of protein phosphatases in isolated human coronary arteries.
- Metallothionein: localization in human transplant endomyocardium, relation to cytokines and allograft function.
- Ambulatory care of patients with left ventricular assist devices.
- Fatal nosocomial Legionnaires’ disease after heart transplantation: clinical course, epidemiology and prevention strategies for the highly immunocompromized host.
- Arrhythmias in heart failure: current concepts of mechanisms and therapy.
Mario Deng Net Worth
Mario Deng has an estimated net worth of $6 million.