Kofi Boahene, M.D., FACS, (born 1963) is a board-certified Ghanaian-born American cosmetic, plastic and reconstructive surgeon in Baltimore, Maryland. He is a professor of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery and dermatology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Kofi Boahene Facts
- Full Name: Kofi Derek Owusu Boahene
- Age: 59 years old
- Year of Birth: 1963
- Occupation: Plastic Surgeon
- Nationality: Ghanaian
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Kofi Boahene
- Dr. Kofi Boahene was born in 1963 in North Kaneshie, Accra to Pastor and Mrs. James Owusu. He is the first child of eight children.
- He attended primary school at Bubuashie, Datus Preparatory School and his secondary school education at Prempeh College in Kumasi. He went on to earn his undergraduate degree from the University of Central Arkansas.
- He graduated summa cum laude from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee, completed a five-year surgical residency training program in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
- He received fellowship training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery at the University of Minnesota. Dr Boahene was a recipient of the prestigious Mayo Brothers Distinguished Fellowship Award, Dr. Boahene was awarded additional craniofacial surgery training in Adelaide, Australia.
- Boahene specializes solely in plastic surgery of the face, head and neck. He has pioneered innovative treatment protocols and surgical techniques in facial reanimation.
- He is the director of the Johns Hopkins Facial Nerve center dedicated to restoring facial balance, symmetry and animation to those who have suffered from facial paralysis and facial nerve disorders.
- Dr. Boahene serves as on the Board of Governors or the American Academy Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is a member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- In 1993, Dr. Kofi Boahene received the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Award. In 1998 and 1999, the American Academy of Cancer Researchers (AACR) selected him as an ethnic scholar in cancer research.
- Dr. Boahene is passionate about global surgical care and leads the Foundation for Special Surgery, a non-profit organization, providing highly specialized surgical care in several under-resourced countries.
- He published his autobiography titled “However Far the Stream Flow: The Making of the Man Who Rebuilds Faces” in 2016.
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
View this post on Instagram