G. Patrick Maxwell is a board-certified American plastic surgeon and assistant clinical professor of surgery at Vanderbilt University, based in Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
10 Things You Didn’t Know About G. Patrick Maxwell
- Maxwell graduated from the Vanderbilt University Medical School.
- He did a residency in general and plastic surgery at the Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland.
- He also completed a fellowship in microsurgery at the University of California, San Francisco, and in hand surgery at the Curtis Hand Center in Baltimore.
- Maxwell was the surgeon and co-author of the first successful report of microsurgical transfer of the latissimus muscle flap, at Johns Hopkins University in the late 1970s.
- He founded the Nashville Plastic Surgery Institute in the early 1980s and established a fellowship training program in breast and cosmetic surgery.
- Maxwell is credited with significant advancement in the design of tissue expanders used for breast reconstruction by co-developing textured surfaces and helping to introduce prostheses that more closely resemble the shape and feel of the natural breast.
- His work on concepts of matching implants and surgical techniques to individual soft-tissue characteristics in cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery led to a method called the “bio dimensional approach” which advanced dimensional analysis rather than volume when using breast implants and expanders.
- In 2003, Maxwell helped found the Inamed Academy, a series of international educational symposia focusing on breast surgery.
- Maxwell was also the co-founder of the Tennessee-Kentucky chapter of Operation Smile, past president of the Nashville Chapter of the American Cancer Society, a founder and board member of the Aspen Center for Integrative Medicine, and co-founder and Executive EVP Diversified Specialty Institute.
- On April 17, 2007, Maxwell was recognized for his contributions to medicine by Representative Marsha Blackburn (Republican-Tennessee) through a resolution written into the US Congressional Record. He has also been a member of the Best Doctors in America list since 1991.
Address: 2020 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37212
Phone: (615) 932-7700
Fax: (615) 932-7707