Edward Chang (born September 1979) is a board-certified American neurosurgeon in San Francisco, California. Chang is the department chair and a professor in the Department of Neurological Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco.
Edward Chang Facts
- Full Name: Edward Chang
- Age: 43 years old
- Date of Birth: September 1979
- Occupation: Neurosurgeon
- Nationality: American
Edward Chang Medical School & Residency
- University of California (San Francisco) School of Medicine – Residency, Neurological Surgery, 2005-2010
- University of California (San Francisco) School of Medicine – Internship, Transitional Year, 2004-2005
- University of California (San Francisco) School of Medicine – Medical School
Edward Chang Career
In July 2021, Chang and Karunesh Ganguly, co-leaders of the BCI Restoration of Arm and Voice (BRAVO) clinical trial, showed that a brain machine interface could decode entire phrases from a paraplegic individual in the New England Journal of Medicine. Through his research, he has uncovered the neural basis for the formation of consonants, vowels, and the phonological traits that distinguish them.
According to Chang’s research, there is a new functional arrangement of cortical areas responsible for the conversion of acoustic signals into phonetic and prosodic information during speech perception. Important insights into how the motor cortex regulates vocal tract motions during speech production have also been uncovered in his lab.
Using these findings, his team created innovative neuro-prosthetic technology that demonstrated full word decoding from the speech cortex in a person with severe paralysis.
Chang was elected to the National Academy of Medicine in 2020, and he currently serves as co-director of the Center for Neural Engineering and Prostheses, a collaborative effort between the University of California, San Francisco and the University of California, Berkeley that aims to integrate engineering, life sciences, and machine learning in order to develop novel biomedical devices.
Certifications & Licensure
- American Board of Neurological Surgery – Certified in Neurological Surgery
- CA State Medical License – Active through 2023
- San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
- UCSF Health-UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
Location & Contact Information
UCSF Neurosurgery Clinic
400 Parnassus Ave. Eighth Floor
San Francisco, CA 94143
Edward Chang Net Worth
Edward Chang has an estimated net worth of $3 million.