Home A-E Ectopic Pregnancy – Risk factors, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment

Ectopic Pregnancy – Risk factors, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment

An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg fails to migrate to the uterus, therefore, does not attach to the uterus

Ectopic Pregnancy

Fertilization usually takes place in the fallopian tubes, when sperm adhere to an ovum. The fertilized ovum subsequently travels to the uterus, where it is implanted and grows into a fetus, which remains in the uterus until birth.

An ectopic pregnancy occurs in about 1 in every 50 pregnant women according to the American Academy of Family Physicians. 95% occurs in the fallopian tubes, while the other 5% occurs in the ovary, cervix, or abdominal cavity.

Risk Factors

These factors increase the chances of one having ectopic pregnancy:

  • Pelvic inflammatory diseases
  • Previous surgeries
  • Previous ectopic pregnancy
  • Endometriosis
  • Intra-uterine copper device
  • Progesterone only pills
  • In-vitro fertilization
  • Smoking

Signs and Symptoms

  • Vaginal bleeding
  • Amenorrhoea (6-8weeks)
  • Lower abdominal pain, usually on one side
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Normal-sized uterus
  • Pain in your shoulder
  • Cervical excitation

If you know you’re pregnant and are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should call your doctor or get treatment right once.

Investigations

A doctor’s interview and examination is the initial step in diagnosing ectopic pregnancy. A blood test may be used by your doctor to determine your hCG and progesterone levels. These are hormones produced by the body during pregnancy. If these hormone levels start to drop or stay the same over a few days and ultrasound doesn’t reveal a gestational sac, the pregnancy is most likely ectopic.

Treatment

Medical or surgical treatment may be used depending on your symptoms and when the ectopic pregnancy is found.

Medical Treatment

Ectopic pregnancy in the early stage can be treated with medications, such as methotrexate. This drug helps to stop the growth of actively dividing cells. Side effects of methotrexate include nausea, vomiting, headache, and drowsiness.

Surgical Treatment

This involves a laparoscopic procedure, which helps to remove the ectopic pregnancy with or without the tube.

In an emergency situation, when the patient presents with profuse bleeding or ruptured ectopic pregnancy, a laparotomy can be done. After treatment, many women will be able to get pregnant and give birth in the future, whether naturally or through assisted reproductive technology like IVF.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.